Sunday, July 11, 2010

What is an Elephant Pregnancy?

So, first I'd like to start by explaining the title of my blog. When we finally decided to move forward with our adoption, Tommy and I researched and visited several agencies. The director of one of the agencies described me as an elephant, meaning that I could be pregnant for a very long time (a.k.a. "the wait"). Apparently, elephants have a gestation period of 22 months. This is the longest of any land animal, and their babies are around 260 lbs. at birth. So, I'm really hoping and praying that this is not a completely accurate description of our situation! Anyway, at first I laughed, but then after thinking about it I was a little annoyed. I later told my mom about the comment, and she thought is was hilarious. So, now I affectionately think of myself as...yes...an elephant....hopefully I don't look like one. The truth of the matter is only God knows how long "the wait" will be, and thankfully He is completely soveriegn over this situation having mapped out every little detail of our adoption journey.

So this is the end of my first post. A progress update will follow soon.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing a blog!! It will help me pray for you guys more specifically. I am SO excited for you and your journey to your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (1) No, you definitely don't look like an elephant!! (2) I'm pretty sure your baby, even as an adult, won't weigh 260lbs. (3) And I pray that you don't have to wait 22 months for your "delivery date."
    So glad you're doing a blog. I'm so anxious to see the progress. You and Tommy are always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! love the blog, love the happy news, love you! can't wait to see this sweet story unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So glad to be able to follow you guys through this process. I love the title too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious blog AH! I look forward to following your journey with you! Lots of love, Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What exciting news! Am so excited that we are all one step closer to meeting the Bunnykins! I pray that this child's birth mother will find peace in this process in knowing how much this baby will be loved by you and Tommy and all of your extended family. I know that there will be a period of waiting, but remembering a wonderful sermon on God's timing that I heard when I was visiting you one weekend that God's timing is perfect - never early and never late. So however long or short the time is before we bring this little one into our family, in His wonderful providence, it will be just right. In the meantime, we'll just enjoy the anticipation!
    Love, Mama and the Bunnykin's Bibi

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH, I blog too! I can't wait to follow alog with your "Elephant Pregnancy" Welcome to the blog world!

    (Lauren Faulkner Humphrey)

    ReplyDelete